As you may have heard at the November OCSC General Membership meeting, a few of the fishing club members are going on a “Deep Sea” fishing trip leaving from Key West Florida on April 21st. There are still seats available. If you are interested, please contact Rich Dziurda 248-330-7054 for more information.
Has anybody been out on the ice yet? Here are A few safety rules from the Michigan DNR to consider…….
- Strongest ice: clear with bluish tint.
- Weak ice: ice formed by melted and refrozen snow. Appears milky.
- Stay off the ice with slush on top. Slush ice is only half as strong as clear ice and indicates the ice is not freezing from the bottom.
- A sudden cold front with low temperatures can create cracks within a half-day.
- A warm spell may take several days to weaken ice, and cause the ice to thaw during the day and refreeze at night.
- Ice weakens with age.
- If there’s ice on the lake but water around the shoreline, be extra cautious.
- Stronger the current on the lake, the more likely the ice will give to open water.
- Avoid areas of ice with protruding debris like logs or brush.
- Keep an eye out for dock bubblers or de-icers as the ice near these mechanisms will be unsafe. Always check the ice and be aware of your surroundings.
Some more good advice:
- Always fish with a partner or at least be sure that someone knows where you will be and when to expect you to return.
- Carry ice pics to help you get out of the water if you do happen to break through. Keep rope or an old wooden
ladder with you….they could help you save a life.
As always, we love to get pictures of your catch. Please send them to us for posting on the club website www.ocsc.club
We would love to hear what you think! Come to a fishing club meeting (third Wednesday at 7PM) or email us at OaklandCountySportFishingClub@gmail.com
Outdoorama Feb 24-27 2022
Midwest Fly Fishing Expo March 12-13 2022
Christopher Finazzo, President, Oakland County Sport Fishing Club